Medical PG in Germany
THE ROADMAP TO PURSUE MEDICAL PG IN GERMANY:
Post graduation courses after MBBS is always a point of worry for Indian doctors. On looking for alternative solutions, they literally have to decide to pursue Medical PG abroad. And at their age, probably, settle down abroad as a MD / MS. One of such destinations where the Indian doctors prefer to pursue medical post graduation in Germany.
PG in Germany after MBBS in India is one of the best options among overseas medical PG options though it is quite complex. Post graduation after MBBS in Germany is pursued by many Indians who tried their best to crack AIPGMEE / NEET PG for 2-4 times and ultimately wished to move ahead by taking a bolder decision in the interest of their passion.
The program to become MD in Germany after MBBS in India is filled with quite a few challenges. First of all, you need to get in touch with the authentic, experienced and knowledgeable overseas education consultant who understands your needs well. The steps are well defined and it takes additional 2 years to study PG medicine in Germany though it ultimately gives an opportunity for PG in Germany.
GERMAN SYSTEM FOR MEDICAL PG IN GERMANY:
There are many medical universities in Germany which surprisingly teach the entire MBBS course completely free of tuition fees. However, the roadmap to medical PG in Germany is under the German medical council and the medical universities of Germany do not come into the picture. An entire roadmap right up to Post Graduate medicine is smooth if you have studied the bachelor level in a medical university in Germany. However, if you are going for MD level directly after MBBS in India, it throws challenges in terms of language learning and the clarity in the system. Accordingly, we always convey to the MBBS aspirants in India to choose a ranked medical university of Germany for a roadmap right up to PG level.
In order to pursue PG in medicine in Germany, the students opt for these options in 2 different ways.
PREFERRED ROADMAP FOR MEDICAL PG IN GERMANY:
The doctor would need minimum 6 -8 months prior to the departure to Germany. During this period, generally, the doctors clear A1 and A2 level of the German language.
- Get the admission letter from a government approved test and language learning center for TELC B2 and TELC C1 . Normal and standard B2 and C1 level would not be sufficient.
- Study the German language up to C1 level in Germany.
- Get the confirmed Observer-ship from a German hospital approved by the German Medical Council to pursue Medical PG in Germany. Initially, the observership would be for 1 month only. It would be extended for 6 months and then further if required.
- Go through the “Approbation System” meaning registering yourself a German Medical Practitioner with German Medical licensing authorities.
The students would have to manage the residency on their own immediately after the observer-ship and completion of the “Aprobation” application (Licensing) Since the student has completed 1 year of Masters program, the student is eligible for 18 months of work search permit officially. Our German office shall support you to get the required Residency but it cannot be guaranteed by us right from the beginning since it depends a lot on:
- Language level proficiency achieved by you.
- Letter of recommendations received by you during observer-ship.
- You would have to pass the Kenntnisprufung exam (Non competitive).
ALTERNATIVE ROADMAP FOR MEDICAL PG IN GERMANY:
Few advantages remain if you take an alternative roadmap for 1 year Masters degree in healthcare. instead of only going directly for TELC B2 and C1 level language program. (Taught inEnglish language) During this period, doctors from India can learn the German language up to TELC C1 level while going through the Master level program (It is an upgraded course from MPH – Masters in Public Health since the financial and accounting part to run a hospital is also taught). This roadmap makes them strong contender as well as gives an opportunity for them to remain connected with many hospitals.
So within first 2 years, the doctor completes 4 programs to be eligible for Medical PG in Germany:
- Learn A1 language level (preferably A2) in India enabling you to apply for Visa.
- 1 year Masters (If you are confident to learn the language) / 2 year MBA in Healthcare Management (If you wish more time before entering clinical side).
- Language learning up to C1 level in the same city while completing the course.
- Observership in a German hospital as per German Medical Council.
- Approbation Application to convert temporary license to permanent German medical license allowing you to avail of the residency for MD / MS.
- The residency period of 3 years on a minimum basis and 5.5 years maximum (for Neurosurgery). It is to be noted that the stipend to an extent of EUR 2,300 per month (Around Rs. 1.80 Lac) is paid to the Indian doctor pursuing residency / Clinical PG in Germany. The normal living expenses for a doctor to stay in Germany is around EU 700 saving almost EUR 1,600 amounting to Rs. 1.30 Lacs. Accordingly, the student saves approximately Rs. 15 Lacs per year during the period of residency.
WORK SEARCH VISA FOR GERMANY:
On completion of 1 year Masters program, the Indian doctor can receive the work search permit (Visa extension) for 18 months. This is a standard immigration rule for those who complete the Masters level degree (MHM or MIB) achieved in Germany. The rule allows you to stay back in Germany for this period.However, the student needs to ensure clearing of the language level as described above in order to pursue PG medicine in Germany.
Based on the recommendation letter received from the doctor while doing the observership and the personal interview at the hospital, the doctor could pursue his residency (Minimum 3 years – but depends on the specialization) in a German hospital. At the end of the residency, he is eligible for the Board certified MD degree by German medical council.
A standard cost of the 1 year Masters program (Non-Clinical) in Germany would be EUR 20,000 per year. Few lower graded private universities also provide options starting from EUR 13,000 per year. This cost apart from the living cost in Germany to the tune of EUR 8,000 would be extra. However, if you are confident, do not spend this extra money. Go for the observership directly once you reach a higher German language proficiency.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MD / MS IN GERMANY?