Federal Skilled Worker Program
Canada is one of the most prominent immigration destinations in the world. Like any other developed country, it offers its citizens superb working opportunities along with extremely high living standards. That is why it is highly regarded in the international immigrant community. The recently established Express Entry program has made immigration to Canada easier than ever before, particularly for skilled professionals with sufficient qualifications and working experience.
The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is easily the most popular immigration stream in the entire Express Entry program. It is exclusively meant for working professionals whose occupation is in-demand in any or all of Canada’s many provinces. Skill and professional expertise as well as experience are the primary concerns of the FSWP. Applicants are assessed across a range of criteria for their abilities and potential to directly contribute in terms of workforce power to the regional and national economy and the best are chosen for entry into Canada as permanent residents.
Currently Canada has 347 high demand occupations, most of which are processed through the Express Entry stream. FSW offers a swift method of obtaining a Permanent Resident (PR) Visa for Canada. Though the eligibility criteria for FSW is rather relaxed, when compared to the immigration requirements of developed countries across the world, the sheer bulk of applications received each year make successful selection a challenge in itself. You would have to score highly and distinguish your application in order to get selected via the FSWP stream of the Express Entry program.
Eligibility/Requirements for Federal Skilled Worker Program
The following is a list of requirements necessary to be able to apply for immigration to Canada through the Express Entry program. Please note that these criteria are subject to change without prior notification so it is advised to stay abreast with the latest developments in this industry:
- Candidates applying through the Express Entry program are required to have a minimum of 1 year of experience in a full-time capacity in their relevant job field.
- Candidates need to identify their occupation in one of three National Occupation Classification categories – Skill Type 0 (Managerial Occupations), Skill Level 1 (Professional Occupations) or Skill Level B (Technical Occupations and Skilled Trades).
- All candidates must score a least 67 points under skill assessment grid comprising all factors.
- Applicants should ideally have a full time job offer letter from a Canadian employer and must also qualify the Labour Market Impact Assessment
- As Canada has two official languages, a candidate is required to have proficiency in at least one and showcase the same by obtaining a language proficiency of 7 as per the Canadian Language Benchmark.
- In addition, applicants must also show that they have enough funds to support themselves and their dependants for at least 3 months after moving to Canada.
It is possible to move to Canada without a job offer as well. But for that there must be a high demand for your skill set and you must show you have enough funds to support yourself and your dependants during the job search process.
Basic Steps to apply for Federal Skilled Worker Program
The following list is a step-by step guide to Canada immigration through the FSW stream:
- Create an Express Entry profile, Apply as a skilled worker make an Expression of Interest (EOI) and submit it to CIC.
- The Express Entry profile you created will be ranked in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
- If you are able to pass the minimum clearance score, then the Canada immigration authorities will send you an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for PR in Canada.
- Once selected, you will need to submit health and police clearance certificates as well as other security checks. Thereafter, you will need to submit an application for approval to Canada immigration.
- Your application will be reviewed by a visa officer.
- If approved, you will be required to pay the permanent residency fee and request your passport.
- Finally, you would be able to move to Canada with your family and begin a new life.
Selection factors of Federal Skilled Worker Program
The first and foremost of the selection criteria is that applicants must clear the minimum pass mark of 67. The following lists will give you an idea of how much you can score in this assessment according to your profile particulars.
Factor 1: Age (Maximum Points 12)
|18 to 35||12|
|47 or more||0|
Factor 2: Language Proficiency (Maximum Points 28)
Canada has two official languages – English and French. If you know both, you can score the highest. Recently Canada has begun to offer more points for second language proficiency. Check the CIC website for those particulars. A candidate can obtain maximum 24 points for English language.
The IELTS exam is considered a benchmark for English language proficiency. Applicants will need to show enough proficiency in the language by scoring sufficiently in each segment i.e. Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The minimum passing grade is 7 as per the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The following list will acquaint you with the score you can obtain in each segment.
Factor 3: Educational Qualification (Maximum Points 25)
This is one of the most important factors in the candidate assessment and candidates can score highly to boost their chances. The follow list will give you an idea of the scoring system:
|Doctoral level||25 Points|
|Master’s level or professional degree||23 Points|
|Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which is a three-year or longer post-secondary credential||22 Points|
|Three-year or longer post-secondary credential||21 Points|
|Two-year post-secondary credential||19 Points|
|One-year post-secondary credential||15 Points|
|Secondary school||5 Points|
|Secondary school not completed||0 Point|
Factor 4: Work Experience (Maximum Points 15)
|Experience in years||Points|
|Six years or more||15 points|
|Four years||13 points|
|Two years||11 points|
|One year||9 points|
Factor 5: Arranged employment (Maximum 10 points)
|You have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer, approved by the HRSDC||10 points|
|You have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer, without the necessity of HRSDC approval, if you are employed in Canada by the same employer||10 points|
If you are immigrating with your spouse, then your application can get extra points if your spouse scores above CLB 4. You will receive 5 additional adaptability points as a principle applicant.
|Relative in Canada 18 years or over (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or grandchild of a parent, niece or nephew) who is residing in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.||5|
|Accompanying spouse/partner’s official language (CLB/NCLC 4)||5|
|Principal Applicant Previous Work in Canada (min. 1 yr at NOC 0, A, B)||10|
|Accompanying Spouse/Partner Previous Work in Canada||5|
|Principal Applicant Previous Study in Canada||5|
|Accompanying Spouse/Partner Previous Study in Canada||5|
Funds Required for Federal Skilled Worker Program
Factor 6: Adaptability (Maximum 10 points)
The IRCC requires you should minimum funds required when applying for FSW to support yourself and your family. The following list tells you how much you should take with yourself.
Factor 6: Adaptability (Maximum 10 points)
|Number of family member||Funds Required/th>|
|7 or more||$32,191|
At the present time, the applications are being processed in 6 months or lesser.
Why Choose Us?
Talent Global Visa Services have been working successfully in the field of Canada immigration for the past 15 years and rated as one of the best Canada immigration consultants in India. In these years, we have developed an extensive following both in India and overseas. The sheer bulk of the number of immigration candidates who apply for our services have necessitated us to open a branch in Canada so as to better process their immigration profiles. We offer exceptional immigration advice and assistance to all kinds of students and professionals and are well known for our dedicated and customer-friendly policies and staff. You can avail our complete immigration package or pick and choose from the list of services we offer in order to take up the ones that suit you the most. We offer 100% job Assistance, resume rebuilding, complete IELTS training etc. Contact us today to avail our free assessment services and get a taste of the excellence of service which will have you starting a new life in Canada before you know it.
Federal Skilled Worker Application Processing Fee
- Principal Applicant – $550
- Spouse – $550
- Child under 19 – $150
Right of Permanent Resident Fee
- Principal Applicant – $490
- Spouse – $490
- Children – No Fee
Some such occupations of high demand in the Federal Skilled Workers Program Category are –
- 0013 – Senior Managers – Financial, communication and other business services
- 0014 – Senior Managers – Health, education, social and community service and membership organizations
- 0015 – Senior Managers – Trade, Broadcasting and other services
- 0016 – Senior Managers – Construction, Transportation, production and utilities
- 0111- Financial Managers
- 0112 – Human Resource Managers
- 0113 – Purchasing Managers
- 1311 –Accountant technicians and book keepers
- 6211 -Sales Representatives
- 2231 -Civil Engineer technologist and technicians
- 2174 -Computer programmers
- 3011 -Nurses & Licensed Practical Nurses
- 2173 – Software Engineers & designers
- 2241 – Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians
The above presented list features only some of the occupations which are expected to witness a boom period in the coming years in Canada but this doesn’t mean that there is less opportunity for any other profession in Canada.